Thursday, August 5, 2010

Born to run


Just read this incredible book BORN TO RUN, by Christopher McDougall. About the superhuman talent of the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico to run hundreds of miles without rest and the world of ultra-running. All started by one simple question of the auteur: Why does my foot hurt?


 An ode to the joys of running.
 A beautiful discovery.
 Pure inspiration.

Page 241 tells about amazing athletic achievements of women: "And caring for kids on the fly isn't that hard, as American ultra runner Kami Semick demonstrates: she likes to run mountain trails with her four-year-old daughter, riding along in a backpack". And this other woman, Emily Baer, ran in the 2007 Hardrock 100 miles (beat ninety other men and women!) while stopping at every station to breast-feed her infant son".

The web tells (spinalreflexanalysis.com)that in a typical training week before a major race Emily makes about 80-90 miles per week with back-to-back long runs on the weekend.

Once, I was training for a marathon. But I never made it, I got crippled just after this amazing run (25 km) with my brother.

Total focus and dedication. And I got crippled.

Since then.
My foot hurts too.

That's life?

No comments:

Post a Comment